Thursday, March 19, 2020

The Common Cup

At this point, most Churches have suspended their services, not just the passing of the common cup.  There are two thoughts on this.  One side is happy that measures have been taken to promote public safety.  One side is angry about the lack of faith.  

I am reminded of the story of St. Benedict, who was given a cup of poison wine to drink.  The cup shattered and St. Benedict survived.  God protected him.  However, our Lord said not to put The LORD our God to the test either.  

Part of me feels like they are behaving like historical Central American Natives who were poisoning their water supply with human sacrifices.  Because people were getting sick and dying, they increased the sacrifices.   Don't misunderstand me; God can choose to save us.  But, we are also not to tempt God.  

We shouldn't assume that God will act when we drink the poison wine.  It's a hard one.  The one side is asking, "How can we close a Church in this time of need?"  I get that, but my own faith is far from strong enough to heal.  

Continuing to offer Mass or Communion in packed public places without being Moses or Peter may put people in harms way.  At that point, you may just be throwing more bodies in the well, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.