Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Milk

I’m disappointed that my Native heritage didn’t show up in the DNA test, despite my ignorance about the people.  But, at 1/32 Mic Mac, it didn’t even register.  That’s just over 3% I guess.  I’m proud of the blood I carry, in spite of the exceptionally little I know of the culture; it was hidden from us as children, in a time where ignorance made such things as native heritage a disgrace.  My maternal great grandmother (mother’s mother’s mother) was Metis, integrating into White society, being the daughter of Angus Noble.  But, disappointed I am.  I’m not sure if much under 5% shows.  And, maybe Angus Noble wasn’t full blooded Indian, which would make it 1% for me.  There’s no way to know that now, I suppose.  Call me skimmed milk, I guess.  I’ve been called worse.  I tell few people actually, not because I’m ashamed, but because I feel like an actor, imposter, or like I’d be cheapening it for personal gain. 

 

There was a lot of Scandian, which surprised me, mostly Scottish/Irish.  And, 5% Baltic.  What the hay?  That was a surprise.  It’s true what they say; these tests sure can have some surprising results…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.