Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Ethics

I was just having a discussion with a coworker yesterday about lying, and how lying may not always be unethical.   Under Utilitarianism,  if it makes more people involved happy, it's okay to lie.  For example, a doctor may hide information from a patient if that knowledge is going to do more harm than good.  At least one ethical theory teaches that it is always wrong to lie, but I digress.

Then, today, I read the 119th Psalm--parts 3 & 4.  "Take from me the way of lying."  The Bible provides an external,  static, and objective moral standard.  Remember that it was once legal to own Africans.   Nazi Germans committed mass genocide.  My point is that a society's standards change and bad things are justified; take mass condoned infanticide in the West. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.