Sunday, February 23, 2020

Man Oh Man

When the BCP was penned in 1549, man meant human.  When I pray the Office, even alone, I usually leave out man, and especially when with others; I don't eat meat if I can help it around those who cannot eat meat.  Today, as we celebrated Holy Communion from the BCP, I reflected on the "comfortable words" that the Apostles wrote.  How did leaving out "man" make me feel?  How gracious of you to ask me.  Honestly?  Knowing that man means human and not people with a penis and that we're altering the age old text, I feel like man has become a bad word, like being a man is wrong, emasculated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.