Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Be all things to all people!

I was praying the office this morning and thought about the word men and my intent.  The word man and men has been removed from a lot of liturgy as it is found to exclude women.  Thankfully, it's still in the BCP.  I say thankfully because I'm a bit of a purist about some things (okay, a lot of things) and like originals.  It's good to make women feel included (although there are more of them than men in Church now), but I digress.  I had this prayer in my office today:

"O GOD, who hast made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on the face of the earth, and didst send thy blessed Son Jesus Christ to preach peace to them that are afar off and to them that are nigh:  Grant that all peoples of the world may feel after thee and find thee;  and hasten, O Lord, the fulfillment of thy promise to pour out thy Spirit upon all flesh; through the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen."

When I pray these prayers, and I use the words man and men, I intend them as all, as mankind.  That is my intent, not to exclude women from God's grace.  I'm fine with removing them for corporate worship, because it's more important; I must be all things to all men (sorry, all people).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.