Sunday, December 12, 2010

Our Suffragan Bishop's Visit

So, today was a special day for us at St. Paul's. Our Suffragan Bishop was with us for our service of Holy Eucharist, much to the chagrin of my evangelical friend; he hates the whole pomp and show of it all. So, why is it special? Well, our bishops don't get to come very often. We only have two bishops for about 130 Churches, and with only 52 Sundays in the year, well...you do the math. They are our chief pastors, and a link. They are a link to the rich history of the Church's past, and they are a link to our Christian brothers and sisters in other parts of the Anglican Communion. They are our link with the Anglican Communion. We are an episcopal Church, and that comes with bishops. Weather you believe that apostolic succession is real or not, they are a symbol of our connection to the ministry (and indeed are a symbol of the ministry) of the original apostles. It's not for everybody. Some feel it is too catholic. Some feel that it gives (wo)men too much glory. Is it necessary? Well, that depends on what you mean. Is it necessary for salvation? No. Is it necessary to be Anglican? Yes. It makes us part of something larger than ourselves. But God is bigger than all of us, and we are already part of the Christian family some may argue. Yes, that is true. We do have a one on one personal relationships with God. But, don't forget, St. Paul told us not to give up fellowshiping. Bishops join our fellowship with other fellowships, present and past, all around the world in a unique and special way that goes beyond administrative links that exist between like minded Churches. Are Bishops a bad thing? I don't believe so. But, if you do, then Anglicanism is probably not for you. Do you have to be Anglican to be saved? Of course not. Jesus saves us. He paid the price for our sins. However, for many, bishops are special. Those who are opposed to the idea may never understand how that is. All I ask is to not be judged; so I'm a foot. So what?

And it was a special day for us. Bishop Terry was funny, and friendly, and it was a nice service that we shared with our bishop, worshiping God together. Then, at the pot luck dinner after the service--wouldn't you know it--he sat right beside me. I usually shy away from the spot light or attention, so it was not something I expected or really wanted. But, here I was sitting with the bishop. I tried to make small talk, and it was a struggle at first. But as we talked it went better and I discovered that he was just a person; I wasn't surprised by this, but it did make him more human, more real. He said the biggest challenge of being a bishop is keeping his weight under 220 lbs. Everywhere ho goes, he is eating. He talked about his family, about his work, about the snow outside, about his ministry in Africa, etc.... He's always on the road, always at a new Church. It occurred to me that being a bishop must be a lonely position at times, a sacrifice he makes to watch Jesus' sheep.

2 comments:

  1. The service will be on You Tube for the next week at: http://www.youtube.com/user/stpaulsstratford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bishop Terry's daughter passed away this month. It is truly a great tragedy for this man of God. I feel sorrow for him and helpless to comfort.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.