Saturday, December 18, 2010

Focus

The reason I started posting today was that this post was in the back of my head. I've been thinking about this one for a while. It's a huge pet peeve of mine that Churches seem to be loosing their focus. For example (one example--there seem to be an ever growing number now), I'm hearing so much about--and am so sick of hearing about--green policy. Save the Earth. That's fine. But, it's really a social issue. If I wanted to be a green hero, I'd go to Greenpeace meetings on Sunday mornings. I know we should be good stewards of God's planet, but come on. Focus on God. I want the sermon to talk about God, preach the Gospel. Focus people! St. Paul said to focus on the prize. It'd be like if I was a priest and my sermon half the Sundays was on keeping fit. Well, you know, our life is a gift from God; we should show respect by protecting our bodies and staying fit. Fat people go to hell. Remember, St. Paul spoke about the benefits of physical exercise. Our body is a temple you know. Come on! Focus people.

I went to a United Church a few years ago on a day for water (water day?) when Chandra's guide group had to go to get a religion badge. I went to my own Church on the same day a year later. I heard two very different sermons. The pastor at the United Church preached about fresh water conservation, and pollution, and being green. The Anglican priest (Cannon Phibbs) preached about the ties between water and life, baptism, symbolic cleaning, etc.... To me, they were worlds apart. For me, it reinforced that I'd made the right choice by leaving the United Church. It has become too watered down. Just a little joke there folks. Although, it was (the joke)--as my grandfather used to say--half in fun and all in earnest. I do find the United brand a very watered down form of Christianity. Now, be aware, I'm not judging them; I'm not saying they're all going to hell. That's up to God. I just don't find the worship very meaningful.

So, please people, lets focus on God. Please. When we go to Church, let it be for religion, for God, for faith, for Christianity, not for Greenpeace etc.... This is not a social betterment group or moral club. If I wanted only that, I'd join the Freemasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.