Friday, December 2, 2022

Is DNA a scam?

I have much less faith in the accuracy of DNA now than I once did.  See below.




So my brother and I did DNA tests.  The results were surprising.  Good, yes, we found Dad's late biological father and also his sister and brother; it's too bad Dad can't meet them.  But, we also say something missing.  My test came back 80% Scottish/Irish, 5% Baltic (WTF), and 14% Scandinavian.  Where was the Metis (crushing disappointment)?

For most of my life, the fact that we had Micmac heritage was hidden from us, for shame.  Things have changed now, thankfully.  I am proud to say that I am part Native.  I have known for years about my Native heritage, even though it was hidden from us in childhood. 

But, it didn't show up in the test.  And, strangely enough, Jewish and Asian (less than 1%) did.  One of my friends suggested that it may be Inuit (crossed on the ice from Asia) and not Micmac heritage that I have.

I think we have a long way to go with DNA testing.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.