Monday, March 13, 2017

2 South

A friend of mine was recently admitted to the hospital and I went to visit him in the mental health section.  I reflected on the way we view mental health as a society.   We pay lip service to ending the stigma associated with mental disorders;  but, for as long as I've lived in Stratford 2 South has been a term used mostly to insult someone.   There's even corporate sponsorship (Bell) for depression.  But, if you've been to 2 South you can't own firearms. You can't be a policeman or hold certain government jobs.   I understand that people need to be safe first.  However,  simply seeing a psychiatrist puts you at risk of fortifying certain career paths and people don't even know it.  A perfectly normal person needing a little help is permanently branded.   My advice, don't see one unless you've hit rock fv3/<!ng bottom.  You'll Do more harm than good.  It will be used against you; it's like a ticking time bomb.  Going through a divorce?   One parent will use it to get the kids.  Want to join the Army?  Not so fast soldier.  You're not stable enough.  Wanna buy a gun?  I don't think so Trigger.  Wanna fly a 747 for a living.   I don't think so Tim.  Do you see where I've sailed by boat?  So, we only pay lip service to ending the stigma, or to helping people for that matter.  After all, they're crazies anyway.

P.S.  Pray for my friend.  I'm not sure what has happened to him, but he is suffering from memory recall problems and is depressed.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.