Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Yet Another Explanation

I constantly feel the need to explain my increasingly super unpopular view on homosexuality. I feel I haven't been clear, or haven't communicated my view effectively. So, here goes another try. I'm not saying that homosexuality is wrong in society; I'm saying that it's Biblicaly wrong. If you aren't a Christian, then no big deal anyway. Christianity aside, there's nothing wrong with it (without getting into the nature argument). Gays should not be persecuted or discriminated against and our democracy will run the way it should with all its citizens enjoying civil liberty.

Now, I've talked a great deal about what is wrong for the individual and about St. Paul's writings. I insist that this is not relativism; because, it is not subjective (to the will of the desires of the individual). It is however, subject to the intent--the heart--of the Christian believer and God's mercy. St. Paul said that all things were acceptable. That certain days being celebrated as special were to be decided by the individual and that those who felt differently were not to argue with other Christians so as not to set up a stumbling block and cause them to sin. He said that no food is unclean, and that anything can be eaten if thanks is given to God. He also said that we are not to eat food that is prohibited in front of one who believes it can not be eaten. And, he says to eat what is placed before you by one who eats it. He also says of the law: Jesus has released us from the law; why would we want to place ourselves back under it? So I say, "What's in your heart? What's your intent?" Who are we anyway to judge a servant of the master? What's in a gay person's heart is known to God. What ever is going on in their life and in their heart, it's between them and God. So, as I've said before, I'm not even sure anymore if it's wrong for everybody.

It is wrong for me. And, this creates a problem for me. In a changing society (and I like that these people can live free and without persecution--or as much--now) and Church that embraces homosexuality--because the changes in the Church wouldn't have come without the changes in society first (as the Church changes as it struggles to remain relevant in an age of the god science)--I am now the one being marginalized (I could loose my job or be ostracized by my Church for expressing my opinions, I could even be charged with a hate crime--freedom of speech and expression?). I've thought, "What if a gay friend invites me to his/her wedding in a Church?" I would be sinning in my heart if I participated. To participate would be to say that I condone the rite and also that I believe that is is good and Holy before God. Although, I wouldn't have an issue attending a civil service outside a Church. In a way, a stumbling block would be set before me. I would not tell the gay person my views however, for fear of setting a stumbling block before them. And, I have no desire to have a millstone tied around my neck.

Future readers may look back and say, "Look at how he struggled with the topic that was so front and center in society in the time period in which he lived. Look at how he rationalizes. See how he tries to reconcile the tenets of a dieing faith with the new view of right and wrong in society." They may just say, "Look at the writings of this pathetic bigot!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.