Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Retarded

What with all the hauling down of statues in the States and the renaming push for a school in Canada, I got thinking.  Dad always said tthat we should judge people by the would they lived in and it's standards, not by our standards.  In John A's time, savages were the native inhabitants of a non built up land, usually in a tribal society--much like our ancertors (barbarians).  We are the ones who have given the words their current meanings.

We used to say that when somebody was mentally handicaped that their mental growth and development was held back or retarded.  They were, in fact, retarded.  Somehow, that word became inappropriate to use.  They became challenged, and then special needs.  All of it is double talk.  And people are always angry now,  the perpetually offended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.