Friday, April 22, 2011

Bad Things Good People

One of the questions I think most people have a hard time answering--and I do to--is, "Why do bad things happen to good people?" Some will tell you that it is judgement. Somewhere in the New Testament, Jesus (I think) tells us that a tower didn't fall on some people because of their sin, but warns that if we do not stop sinning we too will die. Anyway, it's a hard question to answer. Why do bad things happen? At the overnight vigil after the Maundy Thursday service, there was some reading material left out for the people keeping the vigil. Well, I read an alright answer (which apparently you can find in Julian of Norwich's Showings at or about page 300). It made sense to me anyway. Check it out if you get the chance. I've often answered that Satan is the one who brings evil and suffering into our lives. Well, people will then ask, "Why does God allow it?" That question is harder to answer. Most people who read Job, especially if they are an atheist, will condemn God as being a heartless being who plays with people for His amusement. Maybe there was more to Job's story. Maybe he had boasted or fallen into the pride trap, much as St. Peter did. But, this is speculation on my part. And, maybe Job is not the best example. I really don't have a good answer I guess. But Julian of Norwich had an okay answer. If you've been reading my posts for a while, there's the shadow on the cave wall thing as well, that this life isn't reality. The next life is important. That, however, is hard for some people to take. Maybe it's to shape us. Maybe it's to form and mould us. However, in all our pain, God is with us through our suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.