Saturday, January 18, 2014

My Rules

Do I always follow my own rules?  The short answer is no.  I remember there was this episode of Star Trek TNG where there was an alien world with gods watching over a primitive people.  One of the crew breaks a law on the planet, and the crew intervene to protect the crew member in question.  Then the gods intervene.  The gods decide that the crew of the Enterprise don't have to follow the rules of the indigenous people of the planet; but, they must follow the rules of the Enterprise/The Federation.  The gods decide that if they break their own rules, they will punish the entire crew.  Jesus said that we would be judged as we judge.  It's not simple; it's different.  For instance, I believe in free speech but I also am a Christian and believe that hate speech is wrong.  I believe that we should all be treated equal, but that we should not be treated differently to achieve this end.  I have a very strong sense of right and wrong; it's black and white.  In my overlapping worlds of Christianity and conservative libertarianism, there is a balance and maybe even a little conflict.  Sometimes I don't follow my own rules.  I guess I decide what rule trumps what rule.  And, that means that I break my rules. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.