Tuesday, August 17, 2010

What do we celebrate?

William Ramier wrote
at 7:25pm on August 14th, 2010
I was thinking the other day: What does Christmas and Easter mean to most North Americans?

I imagined an outsider, coming here, and asking, "What are you celebrating?" Then I imagined that the average person would respond, "Well...it's kind of...a time we all get together...and spend time with family, eat big meals, maybe put up a tree...and take a break from work...because you know, family and stuff is important." Scratching their head, I then imagine the stranger asks, "That's a wonderful way to celebrate; but, what are you celebrating?" To which they might continue, "Well, it's like...we get together and give each other gifts and presents and chocolate because we're family and...well...we love our families, right? So, it's like we are showing our love. And, everybody gets a long weekend," because they don't have a friggen clue. But, what are we really celebrating? I remember I was very surprised last Christmas when I watched the Charlie Brown Christmas special...and they actually got it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't censor me; I am trying to be honest and it is not my intention to offend anybody. If I have offended you personally, I ask you to accept my apologizes, forgive me, and consider not visiting my blog for my benefit.